Message from the Principal
N. A. Bleshman Regional Day School
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome all returning as well as our new students to our Bleshman Regional Day School for the 2013-2014 school year.
I hope that you enjoyed a relaxing summer break. Our students, faculty and staff enjoyed a most productive and enjoyable Extended Year Program.
Our Extended Year Program, July 8-31, focused on the theme of “Hollywood.” Lessons and activities included researching and studying aspects of music, television and movies. Activities included: multimedia presentations created by students that highlighted popular and Broadway music, news, comedy, drama and reality television and Oscar and Golden Globe award winning movies. The culminating activity, our very own Bleshman Hollywood Gala Ball, afforded each student the opportunity “ to travel down the Red Carpet” in grand style during this celebratory gala I extend my sincere appreciation to our faculty for coordinating a most enlightening and educationally stimulating experience for our students.
At Bleshman, we continue to provide a comprehensive school program to students, ages, three through twenty-one with cognitive and/or physical disabilities. Programming offers an exciting academic/ functional/ career-based curriculum that includes an integrated therapy approach to instruction. All instruction will also continue to be aligned to the New Jersey Core Curriculum Standards. Community-based instruction will allow students to continue to achieve exposure to workplace skills as well as aspects of industry.
We look forward to an exciting year filled with academic, cultural, social and therapeutic events and activities. Please check back for program updates throughout the school year.
1. If you are looking for a job, call: The New Jersey Department of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) - (201) 996-8970 or (201) 487-6348; The Bergen ONE-STOP Career Center - (201) 329-9600; or Project Hire - (973) 340-9993.
2. If you need housing, respite, or voucher money, call The New Jersey Division of Disabilities (DDD) - (201) 336-6500.
3. If you need money because of your disability, you may be able to get Supplemental Security Income. For information, call 1-800-772-1213 or visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/index.htm
4. If you need help with medical insurance, call Medicaid at the Board of Social Services - (201) 368-4200.
5. If you need help because of your disability, or with living arrangements, contact Heightened Independence and Progress (HIP) at (201) 996-9100 or visit their website at http://www.hipcil.org/Programs.aspx?CIL=0
6. If you need help in general, call the Bergen County Office on Disability Services at (201) 336-6500.
7. If you need help with transportation call: Access Link at 1-800-955-ADA1 (2321) or (TTY 1-800-955-6765), or visit http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=AccessLinkTo; or Bergen County Office on Transportation at (201) 368-5955 or visit their website at http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/bcdhs/divisions/transportation.htm.
8. New Jersey Protection and Advocacy, Inc. (NJP&A) is the consumer-directed, non-profit organization that serves as New Jersey's designated protection and advocacy system for people with disabilities in the state. In partnership with individuals with disabilities and their families, NJP&A works to protect and advance the rights of people with disabilities. NJP&A provides information and referral and a broad range of advocacy services, including legal representation in numerous cases in state and federal courts.
New Jersey Protection and Advocacy, Inc.
210 South Broad Street, 3rd Floor
Trenton, New Jersey 08608
(609) 292-9742 or (800) 922-7233 in NJ Only
(609) 777-0187 (Fax)
(609) 633-7106 (TTY)