1. If you are looking for a job, call: The New Jersey Department of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) - (201) 996-8970 or (201) 487-6348; The Bergen ONE-STOP Career Center - (201) 329-9600; or Project Hire - (973) 340-9993.
2. If you need housing, respite, or voucher money, call The New Jersey Division of Disabilities (DDD) - (201) 336-6500.
3. If you need money because of your disability, you may be able to get Supplemental Security Income. For information, call 1-800-772-1213 or visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/index.htm
4. If you need help with medical insurance, call Medicaid at the Board of Social Services - (201) 368-4200.
5. If you need help because of your disability, or with living arrangements, contact Heightened Independence and Progress (HIP) at (201) 996-9100 or visit their website at http://www.hipcil.org/Programs.aspx?CIL=0
6. If you need help in general, call the Bergen County Office on Disability Services at (201) 336-6500.
7. If you need help with transportation call: Access Link at 1-800-955-ADA1 (2321) or (TTY 1-800-955-6765), or visit http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=AccessLinkTo; or Bergen County Office on Transportation at (201) 368-5955 or visit their website at http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/bcdhs/divisions/transportation.htm.
8. New Jersey Protection and Advocacy, Inc. (NJP&A) is the consumer-directed, non-profit organization that serves as New Jersey's designated protection and advocacy system for people with disabilities in the state. In partnership with individuals with disabilities and their families, NJP&A works to protect and advance the rights of people with disabilities. NJP&A provides information and referral and a broad range of advocacy services, including legal representation in numerous cases in state and federal courts.
New Jersey Protection and Advocacy, Inc.
210 South Broad Street, 3rd Floor
Trenton, New Jersey 08608
(609) 292-9742 or (800) 922-7233 in NJ Only
(609) 777-0187 (Fax)
(609) 633-7106 (TTY)
Bergen County Special Services School District is committed to providing a quality education that enables all students to become contributing and valued members of society. The Life Skills Continuum educates and provides related services to students from ages three through twenty-one with cognitive and/or physical disabilities. Learning environments provide practical instruction designed to focus on mastery of skills required for employment. Program options provide personal, social, and work experiences aimed at successful living and working within the community.
The Life Skills Continuum was designed to enable students to benefit from a full program of functional academic instruction aligned to the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards. Direct classroom instruction, use of model apartments, and full use of the community are components of this program. In addition to core academic subjects, students participate in art, music, therapeutic recreation, and physical and health education. Physical, occupational, and speech therapy are provided as prescribed by each student's Individual Education Plan (IEP). Most students in these programs participate in the state-mandated Alternative Proficiency Assessment.
Life Skills programs include various settings appropriate to individual needs. All programs within the Continuum provide community and school inclusion options. Community-based instruction allows students to attain appropriate workplace skills, achieve exposure to aspects of an industry, and develop transferable skills. Teachers reinforce technical, occupational, and work-related skills on the job site and in the classroom. Students also learn to travel on public transportation. Job coaches assist students in obtaining and maintaining employment. All students and families are linked to adult service providers so they can continue to receive the supports needed to succeed in life.
For students enrolled in Life Skills Continuum programs, inclusion settings and program placement options are available through local school districts with support of the BCSSSD inclusion specialists.
Life Skills Program Components Include: